food friday...grilled romaine salad

grilled romaine salad with grilled corn

This summer I decided that I would like to learn to grill. I feel a little silly to say that, as the idea of grilling doesn't seem too difficult, but I know it is an art and one I would like to work on. Somewhere in the turning on tanks and using a lighter to ignite the fire I was intimidated, but I was determined to overcome that. Peter showed me how it all worked and is still very willing to get it all going and just step aside for me to actually cook the food, a fact that I am very thankful for. He is even willing to turn that tank off and do the cleaning.
It is possible that one of the reasons I wanted to work on this art is because I wanted to try to grill things that I knew might get a strange look from my husband and which I might not be able to give specific instructions, not his favorite. Such is the story with this grilled romaine salad. I have seen several photos and articles about grilled lettuce and want to give it a whirl. I think it gave the lettuce more flavor and I really liked the warmth of the salad. Have you grilled lettuce? I would love to know more about it...ideas?

Grilled Romaine Salad
1 head of romaine cut in half
2 corn cobs
1 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
1/3 cup chopped purple onion
dressing of choice, I served it with a homemade ranch

Put corn on the grill (i wrapped it in foil with a little olive oil and salt and pepper). Place the romaine on the grill with the inside down so all the edges get a little sear. both of these can cook to taste. I think I did the corn for 15ish minutes and the lettuce for 5+ minutes. chop lettuce and put on a platter or bowl, cut corn off the cob, top salad with remaining ingredients. This would be a great side of perfect to top with your favorite grilled meat.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...